How does one obtain employment-sponsored immigration?

Employment-sponsored immigrants can come to this country under strict limitations. In many cases, they must obtain certification from the Department of Labor and be paid at least the prevailing wage in that industry and geographic region. There are several mechanisms for temporarily working in the United States. Most popular is the H-1B visa category. This type of visa is only valid for 3 years with a possible 3-year extension. However, during the duration of such immigration status, it may be possible to obtain Labor Certification that would lead to legal permanent residence. Five years after becoming a legal permanent resident, one may apply for naturalization as a U.S. citizen.